Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Potato Soup with Chives

It just started to get kind of cold around here, so I've got soup on the brain.  Last night I made this soup, which is one of my favorite recipes.  The instructions from Cook's Illustrated say to blend this creamy soup, which I've usually done, but I think it comes out really thick and gluey.  This time, I just used my trusty potato masher to blend the soup, and I think it came out great.  Plus, I didn't have to clean the blender!  Try it yourself:

Potato Soup with Chives
Serves 4 to 6 (or two really hungry people)

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, olive oil or vegetable oil
1 Medium onion, 3 medium shallots or 1 medium leek (white & light green parts), chopped
2 Tbsp. white wine or dry sherry
2 large russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (one can is almost 2 cups; you can make up the difference with water or milk)
1 tsp. salt
ground white pepper (to taste)
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsp minced fresh chives (or freeze-dried, but put it in with the broth)

  1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion, saute until golden, about 5 minutes.  Add wine and potatoes, stir-cook until wine evaporates, about 30 seconds
  2. Add broth, salt and pepper (add the dried chives now, if you're using them) to the saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
  3. Using your trusty potato masher, mash up those potatoes.  There will still be some lumps, but this is good in this instance.  Just get it as smooth as you can.
  4. Stir in the milk (start with 1 cup, then add more if you like your soup thinner), and heat through.  Stir in fresh chives, if using.  Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.  Serve immediately.
We ate this with the last of a loaf of Almost No-Knead Bread, which I made myself earlier this week.  I think I'm going to make another one tonight.  Do I smell another post?

No comments:

Post a Comment